Talking business and Buildertrend with David Reid Homes
Joining Tom and Paul on today’s episode of “The Building Code” is Rene Genet of David Reid Homes coming at you all the way from New Zealand. David Reid Homes is a franchise building company with about 18 individual branches around New Zealand – each specializing in custom designs that suit their clients’ needs.
Check out the full episode to hear about how builders at David Reid Homes are effectively running their businesses using Buildertrend and how they are adapting their building processes in the current environment.
USING BUILDERTREND DURING COVID-19
“Another thing that is really useful is Daily Logs. Daily Logs are great for recording what’s happened on your site in a day. And if you tag as appropriate, so tag as a COVID recording or as a health and safety recording, they can go back and gather what happened and who was there, and just make that whole contact-tracing process easier for the government.”
“Buildertrend is a key part of it (success) for us because it enables our guys to have really good communication with their clients, really good communication with what’s happening on site and knowing where things are at in communicating with people. You think about that at-the-moment with the COVID situation, a whole lot of that communication can happen, as far as providing documentation and scheduling – all that stuff can happen without having to be face-to-face. You can do that through Buildertrend and see what’s going on quite easily.”
HOW HAS BUSINESS BEEN AND WHAT PROCESSES HAVE YOU BEEN DEVELOPING?
- We’ve been getting many inquiries from people outside the country wanting to build homes. Many of them currently live outside of New Zealand and want to come home.
- Many of our builders have been using electronic signing to get contracts signed during lockdown and many of the guys worked on getting their administrative functions taken care of, so they were ready when they could go back to work.
- It’s a fantastic time to work on your business and take a look at your systems. The businesses that will survive during this time are the ones that have good systems and know how to run their business well.
- Using to-do lists and integrating them with the schedule has been a stand-out feature for us. We use it quite a bit for quality checks.
- Another tool that has been immensely powerful is the Owner Portal with clients being able to check in on their project and communicate that way.
LINKS AND MORE
Never miss an episode.
Get updates in your inbox
Haven Builders Part 2: Holistic design with Charissa Surine
Tom and Paul delve into the meaning of holistic design for Part 2 of the Haven Builders podcast with design manager, Charissa Surine.
Haven Builders Part 1: Self-evaluating for success with Dallas Stobbe
Tom and Paul are talking growth and success in building a business with Dallas Stobbe of Haven Builders in Saskatoon, a Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
Mastering the before and after with Danny Wang
Tom and Paul chat with design extraordinaire and social media influencer, Danny Wang, of Danny Wang Design in Orange County, Calif.